Things You Will Need
3D E-Book Cover Template
3D E-Book Template PSD – Download HERE
3D Shelf With Background Lights
3D Shelf PSD – Dowload HERE
1. Open the 3D E-Book cover template in photoshop.
- Insert your ebook cover image and line up the corner to the top left template the best you can.
2. Stretch the image to widen the width
3. Go to Edit/Transform/Skew
This will allow you to drag the corners to match the book template corners. Be patient with this though because it won’t be perfect yet. Just get it as close as you can.
Tip: Hold down the ctrl (WIN) or cmnd (MAC) key to gain greater control over the corners.
4. Notice that we now have 3 of the 4 corners lined up pretty well.
5. Now choose the distort option.
6. This will allow you to play with the corners with even more freedom. You should be able to get all 4 corners in place now.
7. Now go back up to the Transform menu and choose Warp.
8. Now you can drag those little black handles up so that the top of your cover matches the curve. Do this for the bottom as well. Once you feel that it looks good hit Enter (Return).
9. If you feel that you need to fine tune the width or height you can use the keyboard shortcut:
Ctrl + T (WIN)
Cmnd + T (MAC)
This will now allow you to line up your image a little more precisely if you see any areas that need tweaking.
10. Once you have everything lined up the way you want hit Enter (Return). Now you have the choice to either leave the spine as is or you have the option to change it to whatever color you like. The next steps will show you how to go about changing the color.
11. Choose layer 2 in the layers panel.
12. Grab the eyedropper tool if you want to sample and match another color in your existing cover.
13. I’m choosing the red in the top border of the cover below.
14. Once you have the color you want choose the Paint Bucket Tool
15. Now simply click on the spine and it should fill it with the color that you chose.
16. Now go back to the layers panel and turn of the background by pressing on the eye.
17. As you can see we now have a nice looking 3D ebook cover with a transparent background. In the next steps I will show you the best way to save this image for future use.
18. Choose save for Web & Devices from the File menu
19. Ok notice that the image is huge. It is ok to save at this point if you want, but It is really unnecessary to have an ebook cover this large.
20. We can simply change the Image size in the bottom left corner. Currently this image is huge.
21. I usually change mine to about 400 pixels wide. Hit the Tab key and it will automatically retain the proper proportion for the height.
22. This looks much better.
23. Now before you save make sure you are saving as a PNG in order to retain the transparent background. I usually go with the PNG-24 option.
24. Make sure you have the Transparency box checked. Now your ready to hit Save and name your file whatever you like.
AND YOUR DONE!
Behind the Scenes Look at how I made this post.